Top 10 Reasons Why Doulas Are Not Just for First Time Parents
So often we hear clients say they do not need a doula for their upcoming birth because this is their second and they know what they are doing. While that is great parents are gaining so much confidence and feeling empowered to have the birth they want, we love supporting second, third, and even tenth time parents during pregnancy and birth. Here are the top ten reasons why doulas are for everyone, not just first time parents.
- Every pregnancy is different. You are almost guaranteed to run into new questions and experiences this time around. A doula can help you process those experiences and support you while you discover the answers to your questions.
- Every baby is different. This baby is a completely new person, with new likes and dislikes. And you can bet those likes and dislikes can be felt during pregnancy.
- Every birth is different. Chances are you are not delivering in the exact same room as your previous birth with the exact same medical team, so the experience will be different. Doulas support you, your partner, and your older baby through the entire birth.
- You still get to have the birth you want, regardless of how you previous birth happened. Parents often feel that because their first birth went one way, they are required to repeat the experience. Usually there are options available to you the second time around, and doulas can help you learn those options.
- Your body has changed. Since you have already birthed a baby, your body knows what to expect and thus the birthing process can be very different. Having a doula can help you remain calm throughout the process.
- You know what to expect, and it gives you anxiety. First time parents can sometimes gloss over the unpleasant parts of birth, but second time parents know what to expect, and know what they didn’t like the first time around. Doulas can be there to support you as you approach those moments that caused you anxiety last time, and navigate them.
- You know what you want, and what you don’t want. As someone who has already been through the birthing process, you know what it is important to you, and what is less important to you. Your doulas can help customize your birth plan to include what is really necessary the second time around.
- Your family will be growing…again. There are going to be chances in your family when your bring your new baby home, and your doulas can help you plan and prepare for those changes.
- Someone needs to watch your older baby. Since we work in a team, you can have one doula supporting you and your partner, while another doula is at home with your older child, making sure they are well taken care of while you are away.
- You deserve a doula! Doulas support you and your decisions, and you can never have too much support.