Infant Massage Class
During our one and half hour class, you will learn basic infant massage techniques to perform a full body massage for your baby. Each stroke is designed to provide the physical touch that is crucial for babies, as well as an amazing way to relax and reconnect with your baby after a long day or a sleepless night. Research shows that regular massage of babies can promote bonding between parent and child (of any age), helps infants align their circadian rhythm (sleep/wake cycle) of that of their parents, and stimulates the release of oxytocin for both the baby and the person giving the massage. Each class will include an introduction and demonstration of all strokes and gentle stretches plus effective techniques to help relieve gas and tummy issues, followed by a group discussion of various topics associated with touch and massage therapy. Handouts for families and a small bottle of massage oil will be provided for parents to take home to ensure that massage becomes a part of each family’s routine. Please join us for this amazing opportunity to learn how to introduce massage into your infant’s life, and provide them with lifelong benefits of nurturing touch.
What to bring to class:
- Two receiving blanket: one to cover the baby, and one for the baby to lay on
- Beach towel, boppy, or something else more structured to make a “nest” for baby to feel secure during the class
- Massage oil of your choice (Coconut oil or vegetable oil will be provided)
- If a second adult is attending, a small baby doll can be helpful for the adult to practice the strokes with (optional)
- If possible, try to feed and allow your baby to nap prior to the class so they are in a quiet, alert state for the duration of the class
- The class is baby-led so please feel free to comfort, feed, or change your baby as needed. You will be provided handouts with all the massage strokes and I am available for questions after the class.
- Due to limitations with the space, older children are welcome if they can remain supervised at all times.
- This class is open to moms, dads, partners, grandparents, nannies and any other adult that is important in your baby’s life. We do ask if more than two adults are interested in attending to please let us know.