Top 10 Benefits of Placenta Encapsulation
Placenta encapsulation is the process of a placenta being either steamed with lemon and ginger, then dehydrated (Traditional Chinese Medicine Inspired Method) or only dehydrated (Raw method), then put into capsules for the birthing person to consuming during the postpartum period. While the benefits are only anecdotal at this time, many postpartum women notice some wonderful benefits! Here are a few of our favorites:
- Preventing or reducing postpartum depression symptoms. Postpartum depression was previous linked to lack of sleep and the general transition to motherhood. Now, researchers are finding that the newly postpartum individuals are lacking in corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH) which causes the release of cortisol, the stress fighting hormone. CRH is secreted in high amounts during the final trimester of pregnancy, and once the baby and placenta are birthed, the levels of CRH drop sharply, thus the link between the low levels of CRH and postpartum depression are being explored.
- Replenishing iron levels in your body. When you birth your baby, you lose a large amount of blood. And as your uterus returns to its pre-pregnancy size, you lose a large amount of blood. While both are completely normal, the decrease in your blood volume can also decrease the iron levels in your body. By consuming your placenta, you are able to replenish some of those iron levels.
- Hormone Stabilization: By consuming your own placenta, you are also consuming the hormones from your baby and your body during pregnancy. This consumption is thought to even out the hormones in your postpartum body, thus decreasing the symptoms of postpartum depression
- Increasing levels of oxytocin. Oxytocin, also known as the love hormone, is responsible for bonding, happiness, natural pain relief, and helping the uterus return to it’s pre-pregnancy size faster. By consuming your placenta, you are getting greater doses of oxytocin, and thus receiving more of the aforementioned benefits of the hormone.
- Establish and improve early breastmilk production: it has been shown that when placenta capsules are consumed, breastmilk production increases in the early postpartum days.
- Offers natural pain relief after birth: In addition to the increased levels of oxytocin, a natural pain reliever, placenta encapsulation also helps with the effectiveness of opioids, so pain relief is greater after birth.
- Replenish vitamins lost during birth: Placenta encapsulation can help replenish B vitamins and energy that was lost during the labor and delivery process.
- Protection from infection: By consuming the placenta tissue and membranes, you are protecting yourself from infection and bleeding.
- A placenta tincture can provide relief months after your capsule supply has ended: A tincture takes 6 months to mature, and by then your capsules will most likely have been all used. A tincture can help on as needed basis for PMS symptoms, or when you feel the need for an extra boost.
- A placenta print can be a visual reminder for years after you baby was born: Our placenta prints are made either with natural colors or food safe dyes that provide a beautiful visual reminder of your placenta that you can display in your nursery, or save in your baby box for years.
*please note: the benefits of placenta encapsulation are not evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration nor is there direct evidence of the above benefits. Furthermore, consuming placenta capsules should never take the place of seeking medical care.