Hormones in the Placenta
Learning about the placenta and the hormones that are present in the placenta is important to truly understand why placenta encapsulation and consumption should be in your postpartum plan. The benefits are well known, and the specific hormones and their functions are not as well known. We hope this helps you learn what an amazing organ the placenta truly is and how beneficial it is for you to consume.
The placenta is an endocrine organ, basically that means it is an organ that produces hormones. The placenta begins to produce hormones around 6-8 weeks gestation to help your body sustain the pregnancy. Throughout your pregnancy, the hormone levels being produced by the placenta continually rise, by the third trimester the placenta is producing 3 times the normal levels of hormones within your body. After delivery, during the postpartum period, your body’s hormone levels will drop to below normal, typically around days 4-5. This is huge fluctuation; this is where the healing properties of the placenta can be wonderful.
Plethora of Hormones Present
There is a plethora of hormones, vitamins, and even minerals within the placenta. You may be wondering what exactly are the hormones being pumped out of the placenta. Let’s look at a few:
- Prolactin: promotes lactation and helps with beloved milk supply
- Cortisone: stress fighter that also promotes energy
- Hemoglobin: restorer of iron and helper of anemia
- Oxytocin: the love drug to help the bonding
- Interferon: immune system stimulator that fights infection
- Gammaglobulin: the bad bacteria fighter
- Thyroid Stimulating Hormone: the energy booster and stress recovery hero
- Urokinase Inhibiting Factor & Factor XII:1 aids in alleviating bleeding and encourages healing
These wonderful hormones provide a plethora of benefits to you in the postpartum period. Are you fascinated by the placenta yet? It is a uniquely wonderful organ that is vital in the prenatal and postnatal period. By reintroducing some of these hormones in the postpartum period by taking placenta capsules you will allow your body to transition back to a normal hormone level more gradually.
You can start the process today to ensure that you benefit from consuming these beneficial hormones after the birth of your baby!